- Sustainable Fashion: With growing awareness about the environmental impact of the fashion industry, sustainable fashion will continue to gain momentum in the summer of 2023. Designers will prioritize eco-friendly materials, such as organic cotton, hemp, and recycled fabrics, while implementing sustainable production practices.
- Bold and Vibrant Colors: This summer, expect to see a burst of bold and vibrant colors. From electric blue to fiery red, fashionistas will embrace eye-catching hues that reflect positivity and confidence. Color-blocking and mixing contrasting shades will also be popular, allowing for exciting and playful combinations.
- Oversized Silhouettes: Comfort meets style with the rise of oversized silhouettes in summer 2023. Loose-fitting garments, flowing maxi dresses, and boxy tops will dominate the fashion scene, offering a relaxed and effortless aesthetic. Pairing oversized pieces with cinched waist belts will add a touch of structure and balance to the look.
- Statement Accessories: Accessories will take center stage this summer, serving as the perfect finishing touch to any outfit. Oversized hats, chunky belts, and statement earrings will be in high demand. Bold and unique accessories will be used to elevate minimalist outfits or add an extra layer of drama to already eye-catching ensembles.
- Sheer and Mesh Fabrics: To combat the heat while maintaining style, sheer and mesh fabrics will be a go-to choice in summer 2023. Delicate see-through fabrics will provide a light and breezy feel, allowing for increased airflow and a touch of sensuality. Layering sheer garments with solid pieces will create depth and dimension.
- Floral Prints: Floral prints are a timeless summer staple, and they will continue to bloom in 2023. Expect to see large, vibrant floral patterns on dresses, skirts, and blouses. Designers will experiment with bold and abstract floral motifs, bringing a fresh twist to this classic trend.
- Athleisure-Inspired Fashion: The athleisure trend shows no signs of slowing down in the summer of 2023. Fashion will continue to merge with functionality as sporty elements are incorporated into everyday wear. Think tracksuit-inspired trousers, oversized hoodies, and sneakers paired with feminine skirts or dresses for an effortlessly cool look.
- Retro Nostalgia: Nostalgia for the past will influence summer fashion in 2023, with retro-inspired designs making a comeback. Think ’70s-inspired wide-legged trousers, tie-dye prints, and psychedelic patterns. Fashion enthusiasts will embrace the nostalgia and infuse it with modern elements for a fresh and unique twist.
- Cutouts and Skin-Baring Details: Summer is the season to show some skin, and in 2023, cutouts and skin-baring details will be on-trend. Designers will experiment with strategic cutouts in unexpected places, such as shoulders, waistlines, and backs. These tantalizing glimpses of skin will add allure and a touch of playfulness to summer outfits.
- Tailored Shorts: Shorts will be a key item in the summer 2023 wardrobe, but with a twist. Tailored shorts, reminiscent of classic suit bottoms, will take center stage. High-waisted styles, pleats, and structured fabrics will elevate shorts from casual to chic, making them suitable for both daytime and evening occasions.
- Modern Boho: The bohemian .
11 Trends That Will Define the Summer 2023 Fashion Aesthetic
With summer on the horizon and spring already in full swing, we’re getting some early glimpses at which fashion trends will define the upcoming season. Standout trends from the spring/summer 2023 runway collections are already taking shape in the closets of fashion insiders, with pieces ranging from ’80s jewelry to ’90s minimal designs to raffia bags that are winning out right now.
Brands such as Celine are fueling the momentum for directional tennis dressing, while Aimé Leon Dore’s latest collaboration with New Balance is laying the groundwork for what promises to be the biggest sneaker trend in the coming months. If you’re planning upcoming summer travels, the internet has been buzzing about Sofia Richie’s recent wedding, which was stocked with pre-wedding seaside looks for the South of France, which will no doubt serve as inspiration for where vacation style is headed this summer. Ahead are 11 key summer 2023 fashion trends to shop now.
Sofia Richie’s stellar wedding-weekend wardrobe has already inspired viral TikToks discussing her chic looks, including this maxi-skirt outfit. Tapping into one of the biggest trends for spring and summer, Richie demonstrates how to carry the piece into summer by adding a vest top, strappy flat sandals, and eye-catching accessories.
If there is one bag trend to know for summer, it’s raffia bags. Brands including Khaite, Prada, and Celine are debuting raffia bags for summer, and we’re already predicting they will be season defining. If you’re already shopping for an upcoming summer vacation, rest assured that this is a smart buy to add to your suitcase.
We’ve seen ’90s minimalism on the runways for several seasons, and it isn’t slowing down anytime soon. To usher the trend into the upcoming season, add pieces such as sleek one-piece swimsuits with barely-there straps and tube tops into your closet. Christopher Esber has a draped strapless top that is particularly noteworthy.
The color of the year? Undoubtedly, it’s red. While the trend was big on the spring/summer 2023 runways, it is continuing in an even bigger way into the fall/winter 2023 collections, which means that it is a great investment. We’re seeing shades ranging from deep cherry red to bright, fiery hues, so you can find the color that works best in your personal wardrobe.
Celine recently launched a tennis collection with pieces such as Triomphe canvas tennis racket bags, terry-cloth visors, and polo dresses finished with gold buttons—a designer take on the preppy athletic pieces that have come to define a new era of luxury sportswear. We’ve seen momentum for tennis fashion on and off the courts with brands like Tory Sport and Sporty & Rich, and that isn’t slowing down anytime soon.
Thanks in large part to Anthony Vaccarello’s S/S 23 Saint Laurent collection, ’80s jewelry has seen a major resurgence recently that will continue long past summer, in fact, as the fall/winter 2023 collections embraced the jewelry trend in an even bigger way. The pieces to wear now? Chunky cuff bracelets and earrings finished in gold or silver that make a major statement.
This summer, white trousers just may replace jeans as the go-to pants for the fashion set. Instead of dressier trousers that are intended for an office setting, these trousers are more casual and styled with looks that incorporate pieces such as tank tops and flip-flops. Look for straight-leg, tailored styles in easy, relaxed fabrics like linen and cotton.
Wedges have proven to be a divisive shoe silhouette, but their comeback is stronger than ever. Bottega Veneta has continued to bring back its cult version season after season, but in 2023, we’re seeing them dominate the shoe space in an even bigger way. If you buy one pair of shoes for summer, make them wedges.
Brands including Prada and Loewe ushered in the 3D-floral trend in their S/S 23 collections with sculptural flowers that inject a fresh take on the traditional floral prints that we typically see for spring and summer. It has become one of the most coveted trends of the year so far, with styles ranging from rosette-embellished heels to tops adorned with delicate camellias, and we expect to see it dominate this summer.
We’re seeing signs that a new wave of preppy fashion is making yet another comeback with the influx of pieces like crisp button-down shirts. What feels fresh about them for summer is the way we’re seeing them styled—tucked into shorts or pants with a belt, then unbuttoned nearly to the waist.