moong dal khichdi recipe
moong dal khichdi recipe – delicious one pot meal of rice and moong lentils. light and easy to digest meal.
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- ½ cup moong dal (split and husked)
- ½ cup rice/quino – you can add any rice or quino regular short or medium grained rice or even basmati
- 1 small to medium sized onion (pyaaz) – finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato (tamatar) – chopped
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) – finely chopped or grated
- 1 small green mirch (hari mirch) – chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 3.5 cups water – for a more thin consistency, add 4 to 4.5 cups water
- 1.5 tablespoon oil or ghee
- salt as required
how to make recipe
preparation for moong dal khichdi recipe
rinse and wash moong lentils and rice together.
soak both of them for 30 minutes in water.
making moong dal khichdi:
- heat 2 tbsp ghee or oil in pressure cooker. add cumin. when cumin splutters then add onions.
- saute onions till translucent. no need to make onions light brown or golden brown.
- once the onions becomes translucent, then add tomatoes, green chilli and ginger.
- stir and add turmeric powder and asafoetida. saute till the tomatoes softens.
- drain the rice and moong lentils and add them to the pressure cooker or pot(will take a little longer).
- stir for a minute. pour with water and season with salt.
- close the lid tightly and pressure cook the khichdi on a high flame for 6-7 whistles.
- if the khichdi becomes too thick, then add some water and stir well.
- keep on sim or low flame to simmer the khichdi till you get the right consistency.
the consistency of khichdi can be adjusted as per your choice by adding less or more water. some people prefer thick and some thin consistency.
- once the khichdi is cooked then top it with ghee while serving. optional step.
- serve moong dal khichdi hot with curd (yogurt) and accompanying salad.