How to Wear Black Jeans
Although black jeans are typically part of a casual look, you can dress them up with the right styling. Wear black jeans as an anchor piece, or draw attention to them with details like belts and/or frayed rips. Black jeans can be hip streetwear with the right touches. Jackets, jewelry, and even t-shirts can send black jeans into runway territory. Style your look using this dark, denim closet staple.
Picking the Right Pair
- Select a style. Find jeans that compliment your body type. Factors to consider are the jeans’ shape, length, rise and pocket placement. The most universally flattering style of jeans is boot cut, which as a slight flare at the bottom of the leg.
- 2Go casual or business casual. Skinny jeans are predominantly casual, as are jeans with a faded wash. Straight and tailored black jeans are dressier.
Get ripped jeans to add edge. If you want to rip them yourself, practice first on a pair of old jeans if possible. Distress the denim first where you want the cuts by rubbing it with steel wool or sandpaper. Then cut jeans using small, sharp scissors or a box cutter. Alternately, you can go online and look for black jeans that are already ripped.
- This is a hip casual look seen on rockers and off-duty models.
Styling and Accessorizing Your Look
- Show off your shoes. Slim or skinny jeans pair well with most shoes. Wear them with heels, sneakers or boots and just about any top. Try black skinny jeans with ankle boots or boots that hit either just above or just below the knee.
- Try black loafers or brogues for a touch of formality, and consider cuffing your jeans for a smooth finish. To dress your look down, try black or white trainers.
- Cuff looser jeans to show off your shoes. Cuffed jeans and capris are a great way to show off some colorful sneakers, casual mules, or heels.
- Strappy sandals and sporty loafers are also elegant choices.
- Wear black capris with brightly-colored heels such as a highly-saturated sky blue, teal, or a bright cherry red.
- Consider showcasing a belt with slim jeans. Add a top that shows off the belt. Consider adding a flash of metallic, such as gold on your belt.
- For example, you may want to wear a collared, button-down blouse tucked into your skinny jeans, to showcase a black belt with a large metallic buckle.
- Wear a blazer or a jacket. Pair jeans well by selecting jackets in matching styles. If your jeans are more casual, your coat should be, too. If your jeans are more formal, go with the formal jacket. Look for a high-waisted blazer that falls above your beltline.Black and white blazers are chic choices for this look. If you want to make the look more casual, try a bold blazer, such as one with an animal print.For instance, if your black jeans have a light wash and/or they are baggy, they would be considered casual. Pair them with a soft-shouldered jacket in a solid color, like coffee bean. Cuff your jeans if they’re baggy and long. Wear boots or shoes that aren’t dressy.
If your black jeans are slim-fitting, look for a dressier, tailored coat. Wear a leather jacket and a t-shirt. Look for high-waisted jackets that are form-fitting. Opt for casual flats like sneakers or sporty slip-ons.4
Try a button-down shirt. Button it to the collar and add outerwear if desired. A black or white button-down shirt pairs well with black jeans. Avoid wearing black polo shirts with black jeans, as your outfit could lack visual interest. Opt instead for light-colored polo shirts or polos in rich dark colors.
- For example, pair black jeans with a polo shirt in snow white or dark burgundy.
Wear a white t-shirt. The contrast of black and white never goes out of style. Try a leather bomber jacket over a white t-shirt, or a white tee by itself if the weather’s warmer. For an urban casual look, tuck baggy black jeans into bright white tennis shoes and pop on a black blazer over your plain tee.
Add a long-chained necklace, if desired.Any color pairs with black and white, so incorporate a pop of color if youlike. For example, a bright-colored baseball cap.