Dark chocolate cake is a rich and decadent dessert that is beloved by chocolate lovers everywhere. Made with high-quality cocoa powder and other premium ingredients, this cake is perfect for those who prefer a more intense chocolate flavor.
One of the main differences between dark chocolate cake and other types of chocolate cake is the use of cocoa powder. Dark chocolate cake is typically made with high-quality Dutch-process cocoa powder, which has been treated with an alkalizing agent to reduce its acidity. This process produces a cocoa powder that is darker and smoother than natural cocoa powder, with a more intense chocolate flavor.
Another important ingredient in dark chocolate cake is the chocolate itself. While some chocolate cakes are made with milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate, dark chocolate cake is typically made with bittersweet or dark chocolate. This chocolate has a higher percentage of cocoa solids and less sugar than other types of chocolate, which gives the cake its rich and complex flavor.
To make a dark chocolate cake, the cocoa powder and flour are combined with other ingredients like sugar, eggs, and butter. Some recipes call for sour cream or buttermilk, which help to keep the cake moist and tender. The batter is then poured into a cake pan and baked until it is moist and tender.
Dark chocolate cake can be served on its own or with a variety of toppings and frostings. Some people prefer to dust the cake with cocoa powder or powdered sugar, while others like to frost it with a rich buttercream frosting or ganache. Fresh berries, whipped cream, or even a scoop of ice cream can also be used to top off this delicious dessert.
While dark chocolate cake is undeniably delicious, it is also a relatively healthy dessert option. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants and has been shown to have numerous health benefits, including lowering blood pressure, improving brain function, and reducing the risk of heart disease.
In conclusion, dark chocolate cake is a rich and indulgent dessert that is perfect for chocolate lovers. Made with high-quality cocoa powder and other premium ingredients, this cake is a decadent treat that can be enjoyed on its own or with a variety of toppings and frostings. So the next time you’re in the mood for something sweet and indulgent, try making a dark chocolate cake and savor every delicious bite!
Classic Dark Chocolate Cake
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 3/4 cups All-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Ghirardelli 100% Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 3/4 sticks (14 tablespoons) Butter, unsalted, softened
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup Boiling water
- 1 bag (10 oz) Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE or CUPCAKE – Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottoms of two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans, and line with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients Granulated Sugar, All Purpose Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt. Add Milk and Butter; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the Eggs and Vanilla Extract. Mix until incorporated. Stir in boiling water.
- Divide the batter evenly between two prepared pans. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake’s center.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, discard the parchment paper, and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dark Chocolate Cupcakes: Fill liners 2/3 full with batter (yields 24); or fill 1/2 for smaller cupcakes (yields 30). Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pans then remove and place on wire racks. Frost cupcakes once completely cooled.
- CHOCOLATE FROSTING – Melt chocolate in a double boiler; stir occasionally until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the cocoa and boiling water. Let both the chocolate and the cocoa mixture cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the chocolate on low speed, and then beat in the cocoa mixture.